About Me

My photo
Hey ya'll! Here's the deets. Casey. 29. Married. Dog momma. Family es numero uno. Sarcastic. Tendency to curse like a sailor. Craziest most awesome girls evah, I call my friends! Welcome to my little corner of the world.

Twitter Updates

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Saving green and going green!

Since this whole green movement seems to be the "in" thing and let's face it, we are in an economic crisis here people! Okay, so the situation is not that dire. In any case, I have been searching for ways to stretch our dollars. On of the girls on the wonderful Des Moines Nest boards posted a while back how she had made her own laundry soap. It sounded easy enough so I went out and bought the ingredients and then....they sat in my bathroom for almost a month. I was actually just waiting until our store bought detergent ran out so I could use the bottle.

Tuesday night, we finally ran out so I decided it was time to test out this homemade laundry soap.

Here is the recipe for the liquid kind:
2 cups of Borax
2 cups of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 cup of grated soap - Fels Naptha works the best I have been told. I didn't use this but will next time.
Boil 2 quarts of water and mix with finely grated soap until dissolved.
Next mix in your dry ingredients and stir and stir and stir until your arm wants to fall off.
When it is mixed add 2 gallons of water to the mixture and pour into whatever containers you choose to use. The mixture will congeal to look like a big goopy mess but I understand this is normal? It will look something like this...if you look closely you can see that the soap and water have separated.
Let it sit 24 hours and then stir it before use. You only need to use about a half-cup per load.

In hindsight, I think I will make the powder next time. The liquid is kind of messy and it requires stirring or shaking for even soap to water ratios.

Another tip I picked up is use a 1/4 cup of vinegar in the wash cycle as opposed to fabric softener. It is MUCH cheaper and you get the same end result. (Don't worry, your clothes won't come out smelling pickled.)

The next project I am going to try is homemade all-purpose cleaner. Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers